Missouri Herbs

Missouri Herbs
Our new website

For herbs I don't grow, this is my favorite place!

Bulk organic herbs, spices and essential oils. Sin
On our site, you will see selected links to books that have been valuable to our homesteading, permaculture, spiritual, health and natural building paths and links to products we use or feel are ethical. Purchasing any of these products through my site will help contribute to our homesteading success and our teaching others to do the same.

Saturday, September 11, 2010

Food time!

It's too wet to do too much of anything so I thought I'd post some delicious recipes I've tried lately and clarify something about my last post.

A friend thought that I started and hand dug the septic trench by hand.  Sorry if I didn't make that clear.  The backhoe driver roughed out the black water trench but couldn't get it to proper slope because of the rocks.  If he had dug any deeper to get the big rocks out, there would have been huge gaping holes that we would have had to fill later and all the excavation we paid for previously to get the house grade (the level part) would have been destroyed.  So we had to hand hammer, dig and chip the trenches to slope properly.  It took so long that several times it rained and slumped dirt back into the trenches we had already dug out causing us to re-dig and re-dig.  I don't think it would have been possible to start the trench out by hand because of the rocks.  Now if we hadn't gone down so deep maybe?

Right now it's VERY wet outside and I can't screen dirt or do much at the site.  The clay dam finally broke from all the rains and the paths to the spring are littered with huge trees that have fallen.  So today I've been planting trees and getting ready for the herbal conference next week.  Here are two AWESOME recipes that you must try!

I used to love Pappadeaux's crawfish bisque and for any special occasion, when I lived in Houston, that is what I wanted.  Recently I found a recipe for Corn and Quinoa chowder.  So I mixed the two recipes together (sort of) and came up with:



Corn and Quinoa Bisque

3/4 C Rinsed and drained quinoa
(some) Cumino (recipe called for Cumin seeds but I never have those handy)
1 - 1/2 tbs olive oil
2 - 1/2 C fresh or frozen corn kernels
1 large red potato diced
4 small green onions chopped (orig. recipe calls for shallots)
4 C vegetable broth
1 pint heavy whipping cream (orig. recipe calls for 3 C, but I only had a pint - came out fine) (second recipe called for soy milk)
Small can tomato paste
1 large bell pepper diced (orig recipe calls for red, but I used green)
1/4 jalapeno (I added that, nothing better than corn and jalapeno)
2 oz brandy
1 stick butter (I only had 3/4 stick, was fine)
1 C flour (I reduced to 3/4 C flour)
Chopped cilantro

Toast Quinoa and cumino in pot over medium heat 3-4 minutes stirring constantly.  Transfer to bowl.

Heat oil in pot (good sized soup pot or dutch oven).  Add corn, potato, onions and jalapeno. Sautee 5 minutes or till onion is translucent.  Add Broth, cream and tomato paste.  Bring to a boil.

While broth mix is coming up to boil in another small pot, heat butter.  When melted add flour and stir. Do not let roux darken, cook 2 min.  Made sort of a thick paste.  Add to broth mixture and add brandy too.

When broth mix is boiling, add quinoa, reduce heat to medium low, cover and simmer 10 minutes.  Stir in bell pepper, cover and simmer 5 more minutes or till veggies are tender.  I actually cooked it maybe 5 minutes on top of that.

Serve in bowl and put 1/2 handful of chopped cilantro on top.  Sprinkle with home made Tony Chachere's (that's a must, really knocked it out of the ball park) or cajun spice.  I make this recipe with no salt or MSG and in much smaller quantities.  I can't currently find my sheet where I have it figured out, but when I do, I'll publish. 


The recipe did need a little extra salt

Found the Tony's recipe scaled down
~~~~~~~~~

The other recipe was for Avocado Chimichurri Bruschetta  
  • 2 Tbs. lemon juice
  • 2 Tbs. red wine vinegar
  • 3 cloves garlic, minced (1 Tbs.)
  • ¾ tsp. salt
  • ½ tsp. red pepper flakes
  • ½ tsp. dried oregano
  • ¼ tsp. ground black pepper
  • ¼ cup olive oil
  • ¼ cup chopped cilantro
  • ¼ cup chopped fresh parsley
  • 2 avocados, peeled, pitted, and cubed
  • 6 ½-inch-thick slices whole-grain or ciabatta bread, toasted
 Combine lemon juice, vinegar, garlic, salt, red pepper flakes, oregano, and black pepper in small bowl. Whisk in oil, then stir in cilantro and parsley. Fold in avocado cubes. Spoon avocado mixture onto toast slices, and serve.

We didn't have thick bread and used regular toast - it was fine.  I also substituted the red wine vinegar for 1 Tbl Dandelion vinegar and 1/2 Tbl Red Wine Vinaigrette (all I had on hand).  I included 1/4 jalapeno and a fresh basil leaf.  I substituted the lemon juice for the juice of 1 fresh lime.  The recipe I posted made 4 pieces of toast.  The next time we went to town we got 5 avocados, doubled the recipe and stuffed ourselves! 

I hope you try these.  They are on our top recipe list now!

No comments: